World-class 3D breast imaging
Expert Diagnostic Team at Your Service
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton offers state-of-the-art, three-dimensional (3D) mammography, also called tomosynthesis. Our team is proud to offer this key diagnostic service in a warm, compassionate and convenient community hospital setting.
Importance of Screening Mammograms
Mammography plays an important role in the early detection of breast cancer because it can show changes in a breast up to two years before they can be felt.
Our experts recommend that you follow these current cancer screening guidelines:
- Women ages 40 to 44 years old should talk to their doctor and choose when to start their annual mammogram screenings.
- Women ages 45 to 54 should have annual screening mammograms.
- Women ages 55 and older should continue mammogram screenings every year or two.
- Women who have had breast cancer or are at an increased risk due to genetic or family history should talk to their doctor. Discuss when to start screening mammograms and the frequency of exams.
Benefits of 3D Mammography
Traditional, two-dimensional (2D) mammography takes images of the breasts from only two angles. 3D mammography takes images from multiple angles and creates a 3D view of the breast tissue. This enhanced imaging means radiologists viewing the images can more easily find suspicious areas or lesions that require further investigation. This is particularly important for women with dense breast tissue.
Numerous clinical studies have shown that 3D mammography can increase the early detection of breast cancer by up to 40%. 3D mammography also can reduce the number of false positive readings and the need for follow-up “call back” mammograms.
Highly Trained Radiology Team
You can rest assured that, at BID Milton, a highly experienced radiologist will review your mammogram results. Our radiologists are also members of Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. The hospital’s mammography program is accredited by the American College of Radiology for meeting all nationally set quality-of-care standards.
We offer mammography at the hospital:
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 7:30 am – 7:00 pm
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Saturdays: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
To schedule a 3D mammogram, call 617-313-1700, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 am and 5:30 pm. If your doctor determines your mammogram is urgently needed, we’ll schedule your exam within one day.
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton’s Radiology Department possesses a valid license and certificate of inspection issued by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to offer mammography services.
Services & Specialties
Providers from departments across BID Milton may order mammograms as part of your diagnosis or treatment plan. We collaborate with these teams to get you on your way to improved health.