Language Assistance & Interpreter Services
Services to help communicate your health care needs
Supporting Patients with Language and Interpreter Services
At Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton, we help doctors, nurses and your entire care team build a direct relationship with you.
We provide accurate interpretation services via electronic devices for those who use American Sign Language (ASL) or don’t speak English.
We strive to be an equitable and inclusive health care center.
You can access, free of charge:
- ASL interpreters.
- Closed captioned televisions.
- Information in other formats (audio, accessible electronic formats, large print).
- Phones with teletypewriters (TTYs) and telecommunications devices for the deaf (TDDs).
- Telephone interpreter services for 140 other languages, 24/7.
- Written information in other languages.
All foreign language interpreters who work in our hospital receive special training as medical interpreters.
Your Right to be Understood
Communicating clearly is essential to getting the care you need. At BID Milton, language services and interpreters are part of your patient rights. You can access our language services at any time.
Interpreter services are readily available in our Emergency Department.
- Assists during a visit to our Emergency Department or during an inpatient stay.
- Informs you and your family about procedures, medications and other important information.
Even if you speak English, consider getting an interpreter if English is not your native language. Here’s why:
- Discussing your medical care requires a trained medical interpreter, not just a family member who can translate.
- It’s easier to understand details in your native language.
To make sure you get the right language and heath care services, our team:
- Identifies your primary language.
- Contacts the interpreter services.
Language Assistance for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
If you need an ASL interpreter, we provide someone certified by the Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing via electronic devices.
We also can use paper and pencil to communicate with you.
All patients can use BID Milton’s TDD line 24/7 to communicate with family or friends.
- Find our TDD telephone on the ground floor, in the Emergency Department.
- For incoming calls to the TDD, call 617-696-7929.