History of Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton
Over 120 Years of Compassion, Dignity and Respect
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton (formerly Milton Hospital) has served our community with high-quality, personalized health care for over 120 years.
BID Milton opened as Milton Hospital in 1903, with just nine beds in a tiny convalescent home following a donation from the Edward Cunningham Estate. In 1944, the current site of BID Milton on Highland Street was purchased from the Pierce Estate, leading to the opening of a modern hospital building in 1950.
Over the next fifty years, the hospital added new patient wings, a new main entrance and a medical office building which now houses more than 50 physicians representing more than 22 different medical specialties. Expansions also included a new emergency department, ambulatory care unit, intensive care/coronary care unit and operating suites. In the early 1990s, Milton Hospital opened primary care offices in Randolph, Braintree, Quincy and Hyde Park.
Expanding to Better Serve The Community
The year 2000 featured an overhaul of its breast care unit, which was redesigned and expanded with new mammography suites, new mammography machines and upright stereotactic localization devices for performing minimally invasive breast biopsies.
To make their services more accessible to Randolph residents, the hospital opened the Community Physicians Office in Randolph Square in September 2000. In August 2002, the hospital debuted a $3.5 million renovation of its two inpatient floors.
Partnering For Continued Success
In 2005, the hospital completed a clinical affiliation with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, bringing access to additional clinical services for the local community. In 2008, and again in 2018, BID Milton completed major expansion and renovation projects, resulting in a new Emergency Department, an Endoscopy Center and many additional private rooms.
In 2012, Milton Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center formalized their long-standing collaborative relationship. Under the new agreement, the institutions enhanced their existing clinical affiliation, allowing them to further their common mission to promote the health of the communities they serve. Under the new arrangement, Milton Hospital was renamed Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Milton, or BID Milton, to reflect the greater integration.
BID Milton expanded its relationship with Atrius Health in 2019 and became part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, creating an integrated health care system that provides high-quality care, close to where our patients live and work.
A Future of Exceptional, Personalized Health Care with Dignity, Compassion and Respect
Today, BID Milton is a 100-bed leading regional community hospital with a complete complement of inpatient and outpatient health services, 24-hour emergency services and more than 600 physicians on staff, as well as 32,000 Emergency Department visits and over 1,000 joint replacements annually.